Monday, October 5, 2015

And more books!

If you read my earlier blog post, I explained how my passion for children's literature has become somewhat of an obsession.  In the last four months I have gone to about 3 different book sales and countless thrift shops and yard sales, scouring Lancaster County for cheap treasures!  

My biggest find was the book "Music Play," which I actually just bought with budget money for this year (more to come on Music Play and Gordon's Music Learning Theory in another post).  At a book sale I found an early edition of "Music Play" in nearly perfect condition for only $1.50!  Now I can have a copy at each of my elementary schools!  

 I recently went to the Etown Library book sale and came home with about 20 books that I can use in the classroom.  Most are song-based picture books, which means that the text is simply the lyrics of a known song. Here are a few of the books that I purchased at the sale:



There is something magical about books. As soon as I mention that we will be using a picture book the room gets quiet and there is this peaceful excitement about the room.  Kids just love to be read to and I love that I can do that in a way that also facilitates the learning of musical concepts.

In preparing for the conference that I will be presenting at in November, I came across some interesting research by Dr. Amanda Montgomery and Dr. Kathryn Smith of University of Alberta in Canada.  They did a study in which students participated in a reading program that only used song-based picture books.  Students that were identified to have an academic need in reading came to a program with their parents on a weekly basis and were given a series of song-based picture books that teachers modeled for the parents and then the parents read at home.  Parents kept a journal and testing was done to see how much progress the students had made during the program.

Some interesting findings from the program were that the song-based picture books made reading fun for the whole family!  Younger, and even older, brothers and sisters also wanted to participate in the nightly reading of the song-based books.  Parents were surprised that songs they considered to be "babyish" were so engaging for the students.  Most importantly, the rhyme scheme and familiarity of the tune acted as a scaffold for the students as they were encouraged to read on their own.  Using the song-based picture books helped the students move through unknown or difficult words.

Click here to read the actual journal article.

Maybe you have some song-based picture books that you can pull out for reading with your family tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment