Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The wonderful world of Orff!

This past summer I completed a goal that I have had since starting teaching.  I finished my Orff Levels and am now a certified Orff teacher!  It was great to be back in the classroom this summer as a student instead of a teacher!  Last year I posted about several different music teaching methods and Orff Schulwerk is another well known approach in the world of music education.

As I mentioned in an early post, my main approach for teaching is through the Kodaly Method, which is absolutely wonderful for teaching music literacy.  However, I have been noticing that while my students are very knowledgeable, they were having a hard time applying what they know in a musical way and struggle to be independent creators.  By integrating Orff Schulwerk with the Kodaly method, I am able to help my students become musically literate and also perform and create musically.



Orff Schulwerk was developed by Carl Orff, a German composer most known for his cantata "Carmina Burana", and Gunild Keetman, a German educator.  This method promotes musicality through the use of music, movement, speech and drama.

The American Orff Schulwerk Association (AOSA) website describes Orff Schulwerk as "A Teaching Model For Optimal Learning," explaining that "Imitation, experimentation and personal expression occur naturally as the students become confident, life-long musicians and creative problem solvers."  For those of you who read my last post, that's 21st century skills at it's finest!

AOSA website

I am very excited to be integrating more Orff based ideas and activities into my teaching.  In November I will be attending the AOSA National Conference in Atlantic City to learn and grow more in the Orff approach.

 Check out my next post with lots of videos showing how we used our Orff instruments during the 2nd week of school.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment